METZ Photography, LLC

Aloha from the island of Oahu. Welcome to METZ Photography's blog. Videos • News • Sports • Fun • Photography • Information


Thursday, July 8, 2010

Photoshoot with Greg Salas

So Tuesday night we (UH Media Relations Dept) are to photograph our top football athlete, Greg Salas. Salas plays wide receiver and will be one of many players to look out for this year. All day Tuesday i though to myself how to photograph Salas. What kind of awkward poses should i put him through... how will this come out... I'm a naturalist, I need something to happen in front of me in order for me to create a picture. So needless to say posing someone is not one of my strengths.

Equipment I used was mostly my Canon 5D... Fantastic camera! My very first full-framed camera and wish i could shoot sports with it... Just a little too slow. Anyway with my 5D I went with my 70-200mm instead of my 35mm. Using my 70-200mm gave me an option to crop in at times and change the look of things. Flashes were 3 Canon 220EX, not the best but they did the job. I recently bought theses little Cactus wireless trigger set. 3 receivers and 1 transmitter. I had a muslin backdrop but wasn't worried to much about the color seeing that the goal was to cut him out anyway, but it helped instead of having a hundred logos behind him
Using the Cactus trigger set went well, they performed very well. As far as the flashes went... i was disappointed that after 1-2 minutes of no activity they would go to sleep. I'd have to wake them up many times... I'm not surprised, I should have used better flashes. Anyway, I got some good images. Some worked, some didn't.
We ended the night with a video shoot for his introduction to his website. I will be posting it soon. The intro was shot with the 5D and 7D. Check it out here: catchgregsalas.com

Aloha,

1 comment:

  1. jay! very cool! Interesting. Never thought of using the 220ex's for location lighting. How come You used Cactus Triggers? I thought you had pocketwizards.

    sweet portraits man. aloha!

    ReplyDelete